Top Ten Thursday is a meme hosted at The Broke and the Bookish. This week’s topic is: Top Ten Settings I’d Like to See More Of (Or At All).
1. Africa: I’d like to see more books set in Africa and focused on African characters. Maybe I’m just not looking in the right place but there doesn’t seem to be many of these.
2. Iceland/Greenland: I want to see more books in Iceland set in the modern-day and not during the viking era. As for Greenland, I don’t think I’ve ever heard of a book with it as a setting so I’ll take anything!
3. America Pre-Columbus: I want to read a book set before Columbus discovered America either dealing with the Aztec, Maya, Inca, or with Native Americans set in the far north of Alaska or Canada.
4. Extreme Locations: I want to read a book set entirely in an extreme location, for example a dessert, the arctic, space, the ocean, or on top of a mountain.
5. Monastery/Convent: I want to read a book set in a modern-day convent or monastery. I’ve read and am aware of some books taking place in either of these places during the past- i.e. historical-fiction- but I’d like to see one set in the modern-day as well.
6. A Vet’s Office: I want to read a chick-lit book set mostly in a vet’s office. For some reason I think this could be really cute and fun!
7. A Setting of One: I think a book with only one character could be interesting or a book taking place entirely in one room.
8. Haven/Hell/Purgatory/the Afterlife: I think a book set entirely in the afterlife in someway could be interesting.
9. North Pole: I want to read a novel where Santa is the main character!
10. College/University: There are plenty of books set in high school and plenty about adults out of school with jobs but not many of young adults in college so I’d like to see more of that.
Have you read a book in any of these settings?