The Bout of Books read-a-thon is organized by Amanda @ On a Book Bender and Kelly @ Reading the Paranormal. It is a week long read-a-thon that begins 12:01am Monday, January 6th and runs through Sunday, January 12th in whatever time zone you are in. Bout of Books is low-pressure, and the only reading competition is between you and your usual number of books read in a week. There are challenges, giveaways, and a grand prize, but all of these are completely optional. For all Bout of Books 9.0 information and updates, be sure to visit the Bout of Books blog. – From the Bout of Books team
Bout of Books 9.0 starts tomorrow! Yesterday The Classics Club had its second annual 24-hour readathon which I was unfortunately unable to participate in so I am joining Bout of Books for the first time instead! As this event is a week-long this will work much better with my schedule, which luckily is not too packed this week.
* This past year I read an average of only 45 pages a day! Obviously I am hoping to do better this year. For this event I am hoping to read at least 100 pages per day which seems doable.
* Finish Ulysses by James Joyce. I signed up for a read-long of Ulysses last month hosted by Adam over at Roof Beam Reader. At this point I am a bit behind- I am on page 351 of 816 so not even halfway there! The read-along ends on the 12th AKA the last day of Bout of Books so I am hoping that this will encourage me to finish on time, something which I have been doubting I was capable of doing lately.
* Finish Emma by Jane Austen. I’m about 70 pages into this one right now and really enjoying it; it’s such a breeze to read compared to Ulysses! Hopefully I’ll alternate these two whenever Joyce is getting to heavy for me and finish it by the end of the week.
* I’m currently reading the third Harry Potter book in Spanish. I’m on a schedule where I read one chapter a day which seems to be working well for me. I would like to end my week with having more than 7 chapters of this book read but as to just how many I’m not setting a goal. Anything above 7 chapters I’ll consider a success!
* If I manage to finish any of these before the challenge ends I would like to start something else (what I’m not sure yet) and hopefully make a dent in it.
My real challenge here will be to finish Ulysses on time. The past couple of days I’ve been reading about 54 pages/day which is what I need to do to finish on time; it just takes so long because I find I need to set it down more frequently than other books before going back to it. Joyce sure doesn’t make it easy on you! I want to make it a goal too that when I put it down (which I know I will be doing more than I would like) for a bit, that instead of just watching TV or whatever, that if I’m not reading something else to make myself do some blog work here. I’ve been slacking in the blogging department lately as I took a break during the holidays and I’m finding it harder than I thought to regain my blogging mojo. I still have books to review that I read at the end of last year! Anyway, hopefully this week will get me back into the grove of reading/posting/interacting more than I have been in the past few weeks. Bout of Books officially starts at 12 am tonight but as I work tomorrow I will not be getting up then to read and instead will try to get up a bit earlier then usual to sneak some time in. I’m not sure how I will be updating my progress yet; maybe I’ll try to do a quick update after dinner each day if I’m not at work. I’m excited for my first time participating in this event- I hope everyone has a fabulous week reading! On that note I am off to work but I will try my best to get my 54 pages of Joyce in when I get back later tonight! (fingers crossed!)