I don’t often do Top Ten Tuesday, which is hosted by The Broke and the Bookish, but as it’s a new year, I thought this would be a nice way to kick things off! Today’s topic is: Top Ten Goals/Resolutions For 2014 (bookish, not bookish or a blend). I thought for this topic I would split this into book goals, blog goals, and personal goals as I have a couple of each.
• This one is easy: READ MORE. I was less the happy with the number of books I read last year- I didn’t even make it to an average of one book a week (my mother was horrified when I told her)! My goal on Goodreads this year is 60 which I would be thrilled to hit, but anything over 55 I will probably consider a success.
• Improve my fiction to nonfiction ratio. I did much much better in balancing this this past year but I would still like to improve. This past year 59% of the books I read were nonfiction- I would like to see it inch closer to 50% this coming year.
• Read more diversely/more genres: This one applies mainly to fiction as I seem to be more willing to read a wide variety of topics of nonfiction. 68% of the fiction books I read in 2013 were classics; I don’t want to decrease the number of classics I read this year but I want to make sure that, as I work towards reading more fiction in fulfilling the goal listed above, that most of the additional fiction books I read are something other then classics. I love historical-fiction for example, and yet a barely read any last year- I honestly have no idea how that happened!
• Post more: this one is pretty self-explanatory. I tend to do really good for a while and then gradually fall of the radar, posting very sporadically. My goal is to post at least three times a week which I think is doable but not so big a commitment so that if I’m super busy at times I should still be able to meet this goal.
•Comment more! I follow so many wonderful and thoughtful blogs that I read daily and yet I rarely comment! I tend to be a lurker online which is a horrible habit– interacting with other bloggers is one of the most rewarding and fun parts of being part of the book blogging community and it makes no sense not to take advantage of it! This is one of the big things that I want to change this year, blogging wise.
• Be more organized: I tend to be a very seat-of-my-pants blogger; I think of something that I would like to post so I write it up and post it. It is very rare for me to write or schedule posts in advance. I have so many ideas for posts on different book topics but I never actually plan anything out. This year I would like to make a posting schedule and just generally be more organizer and diligent in how I blog this year.
• Continue to take care of my health: this past year things came to a head health-wise for me; nothing serious but I had a couple of issues going on that were impacting my quality of life. Things are much better now but I still have some work to do. I want to also continue to lose weight in a healthy way and to start exercising again as I fell off the bandwagon in regards to that toward the end of the year.
•Figure out what I want to do with my life: this is a big one because right now I have no idea! I have some ideas floating around but nothing solid; I’ve made some good strides this year- I’m contemplating making a huge change this year on this topic which is scary but I think I am moving in the right direction.
• Have fun! Enjoy life this year, take chances, be spontaneous! This is the only life I have– don’t wast it!!